An Export Clerk works with goods moving out of a country. They will receive, monitor and process daily freight movements. The job involves ensuring the correct paperwork is in place for shipments and their exporters plus they will also monitor freight throughout the export process and report to a branch supervisor or manager. This role can be an excellent starting point for a career within Shipping and Logistics.
What does an Export Clerk job description include?
- You will be part of a team where your role is vital to the success of the operation and so being able to work as a team player is really important.
- An Export Clerk will need to receive and collate customer SAP export paperwork.
- They are responsible for the allocation of stock to bookings and process shipments in accordance with SOP.
- This role requires the successful candidate to be confident dealing with entry formalities, such as IPR (Inward Processing Relief).
- They can work with FCL (Full Container Loads) and LCL (Less Container Loads). They will need to complete customs procedures and work with appointed routed agents and company operated services. Some roles may require individuals to have an experience of air, sea and road transport.
- You you will be expected to prepare and provide documents to customers in accordance with the terms of shipment standard operating procedures. These shipping terms are pre-defined by both the client and the export company.
Key skills and qualifications:
- Qualification requirements can vary from employer to employer, but generally, good GCSE/A-Level results, especially in basic skills such as Maths and English, is required.
- Previous experience may not be required, depending upon the position available, but would be an advantage. Being able to demonstrate good administrative skills and previous employment in a clerical role may be sufficient.
- The role requires good interpersonal skills as this can be client facing and so customer care skills are very important.
- Someone who is well organised and is able to deal with heavy workloads would enjoy this fulfilling role.
- They work as part of a team and so someone who is able to work with others but also work alone is desirable.
- Good attention to detail, this includes continuously monitoring shipments from the point of receipt through to delivery.
- Must be familiar with computer programs eg Microsoft Office, although some training may be offered.
How to find more Export Clerk jobs within the Shipping and Logistics industry:
To find more jobs within this sector, or to place a vacancy, please contact us.